Tabakaria: The old leather tannery district of Chania
Our itinerary starts at the area of Chalepa, the meeting point between the aristocratic suburb and the industrial area of the 19th and the early 20th century. We are going to wander around the picturesque coastal area with the old leather tanneries, all of them listed buildings of special architectural and historic interest, learn about the pre-industrial and industrial techniques of leather-making and explore the various structures and the old tannery machines. The two still functioning tanneries we will find on our way will give us the opportunity to explain and explore further some secrets of the old leather-making methods, as well as the social status of the leather workers in the past. Our walk will finish at a small fishing port, where some “ancient surprises” will wait for us!
Price per person: 39 €
- English/Italian speaking PhD archaeologist and licensed tour guide
* This tour is highly recommended for photography enthusiasts.
Available all year round (upon request)
* Persons per group: min 4 – max 10 adults
* Tour duration: approximately 3 hours
* Morning tour starts: at 09:00
* Evening tour starts: at 18:00
* Meeting point: please contact us